TransiCast - A Transit Data Web API
TransiCast is a REST based public transportation data aggregation API that offers next bus and train times of North American metros. TransiCast also offers transit routes and stops as well as service messages as provided by the transit agencies. All wrapped in a web service with an integrated, unified format that consolidates the various incompatible formats that transit agencies offer today. Currently, 23 different formats are supported, including GTFS-RT and GTFS for static data. Responses are available in stream-parsable XML and JSON formats.
|In red: stops with next bus and train times based on schedule, in blue: based on real-time data.|
All in all - 650,000 stops, and growing.
Try it out
Below a few quick samples of TransiCast calls:
|Next bus times for Broadway / Temple (stop IDs 3430, 12414), Los Angeles Metro|
|Next train times Caltrain at Millbrae Station|
|Next train times BART at Millbrae Station|
|Stops at lat/lon 37.794543, -122.394922 (near San Francisco Ferry Plaza)|
|Route List of SFMTA (San Francisco)|
|Route details of CTA (Chicago) route 28|
|Agency List, sorted by distance from lat/lon 41.727122, -87.55947 (near Chicago)|
|Service Messages for CTA|
Beyond these samples, the TransiCast Web Service is open for full hands-on test drives. No sign up required. Check it out with an open sample key, and code against the web service. Assuming familiarity with the implementation of client side web service calls, the documentation should contain all necessary information to get started. Please let us know what you think.
Sign-up to a production plan includes the:
- Setup and maintenance of a dedicated and exclusive instance of the TransiCast web server on Google App Engine.
- Provision of a dedicated and exclusive application ID for client side calls
- Performance of monthly updates of the base data (stops, routes) as provided by the original source (transit agencies)
- Expansion of the data scope and new features into the dedicated and exclusive instance at no additional cost as they go online in the demo instance
- Assistance in setting up the required licensing agreements with the data providers
TransiCast is a commercial service.
Sample App Implementations
|© 2011 - 2014 TransiCast|